Church of the Epiphany
From Yaroslavl Architectural Historical Museum Preserve
The Church of the Epiphany
The Church of the Epiphany is the first pillar-less summer cathedral with a close four-piece vault, forming a spacious light room for prayers with nine large windows.
A traditional Russian high iconostasis is placed on the east wall of the central cathedral. It has six levels; each ends in sculptural images of the crucifixion with figures of the foretelling and figures of angels. The painting of icons is traditional for the outstanding painter of the 17th century Semion Spiridonov from Kholmogory.
The main decoration of the church - icons - covers its walls with solid covering of painting. The icons are dedicated to the Gospel events with a light provincial touch. Scenes of miraculous healings and resurrections, sermons of Jesus Christ, his controversies with Pharisees and illustrations of parables reveal the matter and sense of the Christ's Teaching.
The basic features of the Yaroslavl school of painting - narrative character, decorativeness, high ornamentality, and connection with literature - characterize the wall painting of the church. The compositions become more populous, the interiors are more decorated; details of the interiors come from the environment. Often landscapes, which are here more diverse and realistic, serve as interior compositions.
Three main colors - goldish ochre, blue and red - dominate in the paintings.
The basic restoration took place in the 1950's. Since 1973, the Church of the Epiphany has been a part of the museum exposition and a part of the Yaroslavl Historical-and-Architectural Art Museum-Preserve.